Blossom World’s Home Refresh Series 5!
Blossom World’s Home Refresh Series 5 was concluded on 28 September, Saturday! Our cleaning and painting quest continues in the Western part of Singapore, specifically in Bukit Batok and Jurong West.
A buzz of excitement filled the morning air as 290 volunteers from diverse walks of life gathered for the quest of the day. They have 2 main objectives to fulfill: To freshen up the homes of the elderly beneficiaries and to bring joy and laughter to the elderly beneficiaries.
After a tiring but fruitful day, they have finally completed their quests! A total of 26 units have been cleaned and freshened up. Curious to know what they have gained from the event? Read on.
Thoughts from our volunteers
- I learnt that as our parents aged, no matter how busy we are at work, we still have to make an effort to show care and concern for them, engage them, communicate with them and make them feel less lonely. At the end of the day our parents are the ones who brought us into this world and raised us up. Giving back to the community and engaging ourselves in voluntary work evoke a sense of fulfilment and happiness in me, especially when the aunties and uncles smiles and thanks us. It teaches me to be grateful for every small little thing in life, and not take the love we receive from our loved ones for granted.
- Anthea, 20
- I learnt that different people faced different challenges and difficulties in their life and sometimes lending a helping hand or even a listening ear will be a great aid to them.
- Yu Xuan, 17
And not forgetting the ground covered by our organizing committee during our home visit assessment prior to the event. Let’s take a look at what they have learnt.
Thoughts from the committee
- We found out that takes a lot of effort for elderlies to clean up their homes, especially in areas which are high and out-of-reach, e.g. window panes, ceiling fans, etc.
- An old granny’s arm is still hurting as she slipped and fell previously while mopping the floor. Despite the lingering pain, she couldn’t hide the slightest hint of happiness from her face when we visited her.
- One of the uncles mentioned that his house had never been more crowded on the day of our visit. It’s been so many years since so many people visited him. He felt so much warmth and gratitude inside.
To date, we have covered areas including Senja, Ang Mo Kio, Geylang East, Telok Blangah, Bukit Batok and Jurong West.
Thank you to all volunteers of diverse backgrounds for coming here today with the #SpiritOfCaring to our beneficiaries in fostering social cohesion and multi-generation interaction in the Bukit Batok and Jurong neighbourhoods.
Once again, we would like to show our appreciation for the support by Jurong Central, Bukit Batok & Bukit Batok East IRCCs, South West CDC and Bukit Gombak Grassroots Organisations towards our youth-led initiative. Special thanks also go to Mediacorp Cares group, NP Leo Club, NYP Community Service Club, SP Swimming Club, NP Rotaract Club, SP Student Union, SUTD Rotaract Club and SP String Ensemble.
For now, we lie await in anticipation for the next quest, until then...